Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A Closing of Sorts (My Final Paper)




I want to begin this story with a movie that is close to my heart for many different reasons, but foremost, because it is about life in the most ordinary, extraordinary sense. One of my absolute favorite movies is The Curious Case of Benjamin Button; it is one that has always left me in awe as the credits roll up.
            Button is the story of a man who is aging backwards – he is born old, as a baby, and grows into a young man as he gets older. The body is old, but the mind is young, and those two switch places as we follow him through his entire life. There is wisdom in the words of that film that will ring true in me until I die. “I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you're proud of. If you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” But I digress.
            For as long as I can remember, I’ve always believed in signs, which is why the Nabokov story has captivated me, and why I love the smallest words and phrases that I have scribbled in my “notes” from this class. I was that strange child who saw things…just a little bit differently than the other kids my age, was interested in something deeper, though I didn’t know what that was. I still don’t – I don’t know that I ever will.
            I have a very dear friend who is the same way. She’s currently living in Austria, but if there is one other person in my life who shares my belief in the little things, it’s her. We’ve been writing since we were little. If you’ve heard me speak in class about how I identify with trees, how some people say that I am a tree, it began with her. I’ve always loved them. To this day, I go back to the Aspen Grove along the Boulder River in the Absoarka’s where I’ve been camping with my family since I was little, and I still feel a peace sitting among them that I’ve felt nowhere else but in the arms of my soul.
            The connection I feel with trees is the same connection my friend feels with birds. I have always been the tree, and she has always been the bird. If anamnesis or reincarnation does indeed happen, then at some point we were these creatures.
            This is all leading somewhere, I promise you.
            I have one younger brother; his name is Josh. While I have a huge family with so many aunts, uncles, and cousins, he is my only sibling. We weren’t the typical siblings who fought constantly when they were younger or in middle school; we’ve always gotten along so well. This year is his freshman year at MSU – he’s following in our father’s footsteps and obtaining his Mechanical Engineering degree. I’ve spent my whole life protecting him, taking care of him as well as he’ll let me, so it was funny that I would be new at MSU the same year he would be. A chance to keep an eye on baby brother during his first “crazy” year of college? Check a happy yes.
            I never wanted to go to school at MSU; it was where all (ha – exaggeration is always amusing when you’re 21 looking back on 18) my fellow classmates went after they graduated. And yet, after two years out of state, and one of the most amazing trips in my life, deciding to transfer to Montana State University was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Life is a series of circumstances, changing perceptions, and love. All three led to where I am now, and to what happened last November.
            The weekend of November 3rd, 2012, my boyfriend Cody and I went home because the wedding of two of his good friends from his ranching community was taking place. Josh, not having any obnoxious Calculus homework that weekend, decided to go along and see his friends he’d graduated with that still lived in Miles City.
            The Saturday evening of the wedding for us was late night in Austria, where my friend was watching The Curious Case of Benjamin Button with a group of people she was studying abroad with; we share a love of this movie. While Cody and I were dancing at the wedding, she was watching it. In the film, there is a character named Daisy who is a ballerina, and there is a beautifully tragic scene partway through where she is hit by a car. All of the circumstances leading up to that one event are shown first, and the scene ends with the quote, “But life being what it is - a series of intersecting lives and incidents, out of anyone's control - that taxi did not go by, and that driver was momentarily distracted, and that taxi hit Daisy, and her leg was crushed.”
            When the movie finished, my friend looked at one of her friends and said, “Something bad is going to happen, Gwen. I know it. Just like with Daisy. I can feel it.” She couldn’t shake the inkling – she went to bed.
            The wedding had ended; Cody had dropped me off at home and I’d said a goodnight to my parents, who were waiting for Josh to get home from hanging out with his friends. I fell asleep quickly, my feet aching from all of the dancing we’d done.
            Later that night – 2 am, as I would later realize – I was dreaming. I couldn’t tell you about what, but at the end, a horrific boom jolted me awake – one that I’d assumed had been in my dream. Minutes later, my mother was at the door: “Josh has been in an accident.”
            In the midst of this, I texted my friend in Europe, telling her that my brother was in an accident, and asking for her prayers for him.
            It was three blocks away from my house – the pickup had hit a tree. The scene of the accident was a nightmare that is a blur of images and flashing red lights for me; one that I try hard to not remember. I thought he was dead. I saw the pickup smashed against the tree, and thought for sure he was dead; seeing him in the ambulance alive, but in pain was as much of a relief as it was a horror. His femur had snapped clean in two, but that was all we knew. No one was telling us much else, but he would have to be airlifted to Billings. It was a long few hours in the hospital.
            At the same time all of this was happening, it was late morning in Austria. My friend was walking across campus, back to her building. She was about to walk by the computer lab, when a little bird landed by her feet, looked up, and whistled at her. Immediately, she went to the lab, checked her messages, found mine, and found her gut had been right.
            The tree and the bird.
            It was the hardest thing I’ve ever been through – brought on by one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. If one thing had been different – if I hadn’t transferred to Bozeman, if Jimmy and Lavonne hadn’t gotten married that weekend, if I’d invited Josh to come to the wedding with me, if I hadn’t invited him to come home with us this weekend, it would never have happened.
In some way, it was my fault. And, yet in some way, I saved him.
The pickup hit a tree that night – a small cottonwood that looked so thin to me I couldn’t believe it was still standing. But it had hit that tree, and if it hadn’t, it would have gone straight through the wall five feet behind it, and my little brother would have been killed.
Kelse said it with written words, the way that we speak best. “You. You are the tree. And the tree stopped him. You buffered him. Just like you always do. You had to buffer your brother from the worst of the world.”
All of this happened before Mythologies. But throughout this class, this one event is what I have been coming back to, what I’ve centered around, and that was never shown more clearly than in my displacement myth of the story of Phaethon. Phaethon dies – and writing that story, writing what didn’t happen in real life to me, to my brother, was one of the most healing things that I have ever experienced.
What this class has taught me, and what I think I’ve always known, is that I’ve always been a “mythic detective” of sorts. This class has been the glasses I needed to see clearly. I will forever carry them around in my pocket for those unexpected moments, huge or small, that present themselves every day in ways that are a thousand years old, and yet as new to me as the different light I open my eyes to every morning.

Copyright K. Weyebacher 2013 - "I found youuuuuuuu."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment