Thursday, January 24, 2013

Trees, trees, EVERYWHERE.

I've always been seeing trees - as I said in an earlier post, they've been a huge part of my life. So, this is why, after an hour of sitting in front of my computer, trying to figure out what it is that I want to write about, that I come to the story I want to tell you.

My mind has been in Nepal for the last two days -
specifically with this group of people in Phortse, and specifically specifically with someone who's standing in the middle in the back near the tall man, wearing a hat that I know is green but looks gray in this picture. Needless to say...I've had a bit of trouble focusing. So, I decided to direct my attention to exactly that.

I entered "nepali mythology" into my search engine and hit enter, hoping something good would come up. I found a lot of different stories, many about the mountain gods that resided in the peaks surrounding the villages, and many about beautiful goddesses (the Five Sisters). While interesting, none of it sparked something for which I wanted to write about, until I stopped scrolling when a title jumped out at me: "The Heavenly Rope."

This happened to be one of those moments where my mind switches gears on me completely, and I thought, That reminds me of the rope they climb up to find Jake's ikran in Avatar! Which went to, I wonder what mythology there is behind the scenes of that movie!!! New tab opened, "avatar movie mythology" searched, and I ran straight into the Tree of Souls from the movie - which is said to be borrowed from Norse mythology - the tree Yggdrasil.

In Norse mythology, Yggdrasil in the center of the universe, the being that holds all nine words in the universe.

TREES. EVERYWHERE.

And the worlds within? Asgard - where Chris Hemsworth resides as Thor in the movie.comic book I'd never read before a few months ago. Valhalla which brings to mind valkyries for me, as I wanted to be one when I was about 13. And the opera! And this wonderful book that I read at about that age called "The Sea of Trolls" by Nancy Farmer. I read that book so many times over., and would like to read again in light of the Norse mythology that keeps cropping up.

My mind is spinning a little bit right now.

Thank you, person in the green/gray hat for always distracting me - especially when it ends up leading me somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment