Monday, March 25, 2013

This weekend, I had the misfortune of spending my money on the new movie "Olympus Has Fallen" which is yet another story about a foreign country (and following the same streak most of these other movies are following, that country is again North Korea) taking control of our government, before being defeated by the courageous hero played by King Leonidus himself: Gerard Butler.

I thought the script was awful, and the one redeeming thing I found about it was, as usual, Mr. Morgan Freeman. My boyfriend and I went in with high hopes...and had to squelch our laughs while they dragged a defiant Secretary of State down a hallway as she started shouting the Pledge of Allegiance at the top of her lungs. It was pretty awkward.

But, because of it's mythological content (seen most obviously in the name) I decided to post about it. In the movie, there is a program that controls our nuclear weapons "launch codes" or something to that effect, and they call it Cerberus, after the three-headed hound guarding the gates of the underworld. Accordingly, this program has three pass codes needed to gain access which would metaphorically allow "the gates of Hell" to be opened - as Mr. Freeman states in one of his lines. I'm curious - why does the government's (at least, the movie world's version of government) always use mythological names for classified things?

So disappointed. But the trailer for the baseball movie about Jackie Robinson looked good.

No comments:

Post a Comment