Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Closing Remarks

My first semester at MSU, people asked me constantly if I had ever taken a Dr. Sexson course; everyone was eager to admonish me when I replied that I hadn't. There was honestly not a single person who I spoke to that had anything other than good things to say about him. So, when I found out he was retiring, I knew I had to sign up for one of his last courses.

I had desperately wanted to take the Shakespeare course, but it was full by the time it was my turn to register, so I fell to Mythologies - the one class I had wanted but never had the chance to take in high school.

And, as always, the Fates had a reason for letting this happen.

This class has been beautiful. I mentioned during my last presentation my fear of presentations, and how I had no problem with them in this class at all; in fact, even though I cried, that presentation was the calmest, most collected and most organized that I have ever been for something like that. I don't know what to attribute it to - but the comfort that I feel in class is one that I have not felt elsewhere in a long time. Or as long as 21 years can be haha.

I am truly thankful for the opportunity I had in this class, to be able to hear and discuss all of the things that are close to my heart. We spoke of life, and of people; the simplest but most extraordinary things. I'm grateful for the chance we had to hear Frederick Turner speak at the poetry reading and in class the next day - but I am most grateful to have met and been a student of Michael Sexson.

♪ Tell me Phaedrus, what's good? Is it Idaho? ♫

The only regret I have is that this class is not continuing into next semester. Thank you all, so very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment